Asked by uhmwritha-photos
10 facts about my mom- I’m so glad you picked this one because my mom is my hero and I talk about her all the time. I’ve never been so inspired by someone.
- She’s an expert in the field of Prolonged Exposure Therapy, a type of therapy for traumatic memories. She works with veterans with PTSD. I have no idea how she’s done it for so long because she’s such a pacifist liberal in the defense community but god, the work she does is incredible
- She started a PFLAG chapter in my conservative town
- She’s as close to an expert on climate change as a non-climatologist can be, and she does presentations around town. Her main mission is anti-fracking.
- Throughout my childhood, I would go out in my sandbox in the backyard and make these ornate “elf villages,” and she’d go out in the middle of the night and walk barbies around so that there would be “elf footprints” the next day
- She regularly pees herself laughing at dirty jokes/fart jokes/her own jokes at the dinner table (she’d kill me if she saw this)
- She’s a huge proponent of nonviolence and civil disobedience (she wants to get arrested in a demonstration…nearly did last year at a KXL action)
- In college she went to Austria to study abroad, but she dropped the program without telling anyone and just chilled in Europe, traveling and working under the table, for a year
- She speaks German pretty fluently and taught herself some Vietnamese before she went there for her honeymoon
- She hasn’t run since college, but in the past two years, she started running every day, got so in shape, and has finished several 5k’s below 30 minutes as a 55 year old woman
- She’s so goddamn supportive of me, unconditionally. I’ve never met someone so loving.
7 facts about my childhood
- I played nearly every sport in the book, but was most involved in horseback riding and figure skating throughout most of my childhood
- I’m an only child, and it was just me and my mom for a long time
- I believed in Santa, the aforementioned elves in the sandbox, the tooth fairy, etc. way longer than most kids do
- When I was 9 or so, I taught myself how to juggle and ride a unicycle.
- Every year from ages 2 on, I tried to eat a tomato thinking it would be the year I finally liked tomatoes. Still hasn’t happened.
- I screamed and sobbed so loudly inside the Tree of Life at Disney World when I was 6 because I was terrified of the Bugs Life movie that they had to carry me outside
- I used to pretend I was a dragon breathing fire by putting a lot of cinnamon in my mouth and spitting it out
6 facts about my home town
- People very regularly ask if I mean Bel Air, California or ask me if my high school track sweatshirts are Fresh Prince merch
- We’re the hometown of John Wilkes Boothe
- We’re also the home of Broom’s Bloom Dairy, the best homemade icecream shop ever (Huffpost agrees)
- It’s a kind of conservative pocket of a rather liberal wider area, which blows
- We’ve got the King and Queen’s seat!! Look it up, it Rocks (eheheh)
- Bel Air’s a nice little combination of rural and suburban with plenty of access to forests and nature, but still relatively close to Baltimore, DC, Philly, all that good stuff